Dealing with Rejection
Dating is fun, it really is. But there is a downside - and that downside is known as 'rejection'.
We can be rejected in many areas of our lives - whether it's losing out on a job, not being invited to a party, or not being as popular as we would like. But nothing can match the peculiar hurt of being rejected in a dating scenario. And whereas in a job-search we would just pick ourselves up and email our cv off to the next potential employer, when we get a knock-back in love, it's hard to get back on an internet dating site, or give a rueful grin and sign up for another dating service. Sometimes it's hard to just to imagine you'll ever like anyone ever again...
What you have to remember is that to find Mr or Mrs Right, you have to experience some kind rejection - and you'll have to do some of that rejecting yourself. It's just part of the process. Of course when it comes to dating we put a huge amount of emotional investment into those relationships, so to get through the tough times, try to bear these tips in mind:
- Every knock back you get brings you one step closer to meeting your soulmate.
- Remember the last time that you decided that the person you were dating wasn't quite right - what emotions were you experiencing?
- Use positive language when thinking about your love-life. Telling yourself that you don't deserve to meet anyone won't get you anywhere. Putting out a positive vibe can only help in your quest to meet your next lover.
- Try not to binge on ciggies, ice-cream, wine or new shoes. None of those things will help, and you'll only end up feeling guilty. Put that cash into getting a really decent photo of yourself to post on an online dating site, or towards a new outfit for your next dating adventure.
- Hang out with people who exude positive energy. You're well within your rights to feel down, but moaning about your woes for an extended period of time will only cement that feeling of depression. Be with friends who know what you're going through, but who put fun at the top of the agenda.
- Lastly, what are you waiting for? Best way to get over a man? Get under another one! Get back out there on the dating scene, flirt for all your worth, and be thankful that your last love was sensible enough to 'reject' you. Just think how awful it would be to be saddled for life with someone who's 'not quite right'...